Wednesday

RACE brings Malini & Natasha together again!

No two actresses have been as talked about, as loved or as hated as Malini Nanku Malhotra and Natasha Rai. Whether you love them or hate them, you certainly cannot ignore them! We bring you the interviews of both these divas who will battle for your attention along with Monisha (Mini) on the eve of RACE's worldwide release:

Malini N. Malhotra (SOPHIA)

Tell us how difficult it was to prepare for this role in Race and how different it is from your last blockbuster Silsila?

My role in all previous films and especially in Race have all been very simple and homely. It was not a conscious effort on my part to take on only Indianized roles. But probably Bhansaliji felt that this is how my audience wanted to see me and I don't blame him since all my movies have worked wonders at the box office. When Race was offered to me I was very hesitant because I had never done anything like this before. First, I was working for a director with a notorious reputation with films like Bistar. Plus the role was very westernized and I didn't know if my fans would accept me in such a role. Even though I initially turned it down twice, Kanti kept coming back and convinced me that he was making a very classy film this time. He even signed a contract with a long list of my conditions. Still, before signing the film, I wanted to make sure that I could carry off the role and not make a fool of myself. So I worked very hard with my fitness instructor to get a toned body and slipped comfortably into size zero outfits before accepting this film!

Early critics reviews for Race have been mixed for both you and Natasha. But most critics have lavished their praises on Monisha. Do you think the audience will agree with the critics or will you be able to meet your fan's huge expectations after KANK, LCMD & Silsila?

Monisha is my dearly beloved sister in law and after reading her recent interview I have to say that she’s turning into a very competitive actress! I loved how she raised expectations for her senior actresses in order to come across as the surprise packet. I am sure that with time she will mature into a fine actress and possibly overtake both Natasha and myself. I applaud her strong ambition and dedication to her career but this being her first film; she has a long way to go. For a first film of course she has done wonders. When I started out, I trusted the wrong people so my make up, styling and photography were all ruined so that I would look bad. But Monisha doesn’t have to go through all that because she has an experienced actress as her sister in-law! To answer your question though, I think both Natasha and I have a huge fan following so obviously we will get a better response from the audience than Monisha. It is very unfair to compare her to us.

What made you get out of your comfort zone and accept a film directed by BPP's debutant director? Are you not scared that he might ruin your career after previous C-graders in non-BPP banners?

This is an interesting question so let me explain my reasoning for accepting RACE. I understand that the film is a risk compared to my previous choices but one must take some calculated risks in order to grow as an actress. I see this role as a great opportunity to prove that I can handle any role with any filmmaker. Honestly, the risk is not as big as you would think. Since we started our careers together just like Preity and Rani, the audience really likes my 'on screen' chemistry with Natasha. Both Preity and Rani have given many flops but never when they worked together. Similarly, every film that cast us together has become a blockbuster and I am betting that this will be no exception. I understand that the day I let my personal life interfere with my professional life, my career will be over. So no matter what our personal differences, I think Natasha and I rock on the big screen and I am committed to keeping our fans happy by working in many more films with this very talented actress.


Natasha Rai (SONIA)

Tell us how difficult it was to prepare for this role in Race and how different it is from your last blockbuster Silsila?

Preparation for Race was not difficult at all as I have done similar modern girl's role in KANK. My makeup man and dress designer deserve the credit. The role of Sonia's in Race is different from Chandani's in Silsila in the sense of wardrobe, hair and presentation. However, both roles have modern flair to it. Acting wise, Race was easy and light and lots of fun whereas Silsila was deep and intense.

Early critics reviews for Race have been mixed for both you and Malini. But most critics have lavished their praises on Monisha. Do you think the audience will agree with the critics or will you be able to meet your fan's huge expectations after KANK, LCMD & Silsila?

I have seen Monisha's acting during the shootings and she has done a great job as a debutante. Its natural for critics to do the comments on new face and talent but its not fair to make any comparison with the seasoned actresses. I have played my role to the best and now I leave it to my audience to be the judge. I have faith that Race will be a winner for all of us.

What made you get out of your comfort zone and accept a film directed by BPP's debutant director? Are you not scared that he might ruin your career after previous C-graders in non-BPP banners?

Kanti R. Shah's direction has come a long way from being a famous director of C grade movies to the top notch, realistic director of Madhur Bhandarkar fame. Though I have been a find and protégé of Bhansali's camp, I have absolute freedom to work with other directors. Kanti approached me for Sonia's role for Race, I loved the character and accepted it which was a wise decision. He has been a great director to work with and has done full justice to his debut production.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Malini and Natasha you are both looking smashing in Race. Malini - JESUS CHRIST HOW ON EARTH DID YOU LOOSE SO MUCH WEIGHT?? You look so fresh and toned and your face just glows with happiness (or is it the baby?) HAHA Natasha I didn't like you so much in Silsila but in Race you look your BEST. The tanned look definitely suits you and don't worry about the gawar critics who are critisizing you guys. You two are the LIFE of RACE!!