Thursday

Saagar speaks his heart out...

Laguna Beach, California on Tuesday, September 17, 2008
By Senior Editor: Kanti R. Shah / Gayfare Online

gayfareonline@gmail.com Subject: KANTI


For my first assignment as reporter for Gayfare, I wanted to interview someone that had never been interviewed before. The first person that came to my mind was hunky Saagar from the first family of Trollywood. My producers immediately dismissed the idea as "impossible - Saagar would never agree to an interview." However, this just made my task even more challenging!

After numerous calls and excuses, I am finally sitting here in a coffee shop at Laguna Beach with Saagar Malhotra, fresh after a much deserved honeymoon in Italy & Switzerland.

Kanti: So, I finally have you - the elusive Saagar Malhotra sitting in front of me, knowing that this will be a published interview for Gayfare Times. You do know that "no comments" is not an option right?

Saagar: (laughs) Yes I do - although I'm still not sure I'll be able to offer you anything exciting. I'm a pretty laid back and normal person with no drama whatsoever. I honestly don't think anyone would want to read what I have to say. I am considered to be a boring person by most people.

Kanti: I'll be the judge of that. But I'd like to start off with a light question. How was your honeymoon?

Saagar: Overall I think it was very nice to show Monisha around in Lausanne, Geneva and other cities that are close to my heart because I spent an important part of my life there. Venice was even more beautiful than ever. It's incredible because while I built memories in these cities, I had always wanted to share it with my significant other. And now I can say that I have! (smiles). We did run into some trouble due to strikes on our way from Venice to Geneva but like I said, overall it went very well.

Kanti: Before I even ask this question, I am reminded of the enormous similarities between your family and the Bachchan family of Bollywood. While Amitabh had a soul mate in Rekha, he was forced to marry a girl his family approved of - Jaya Bahaduri. Even Abhishek found his soul-mate and was engaged to her but had to settle for Aishwarya because of his parent's objection to Karisma. Can I ask you about your true love…your soul mate?

Saagar: No you cannot (both burst out laughing). But in all honesty I acknowledge that I have a past like everyone else and I was in love. It would be disrespectful to her and to Monisha for me to give out the name because I wouldn't want to hurt that person in any way. What we shared was an unexplainable, strong and pure bond that no one else can understand. It was not sexual at all because we didn't have any "physical" intimacy. But it was intimate - in every sense of the word. I don't want to discuss what caused the rift between us because it is unimportant. I have chosen to only remember the positive aspects of my relationship with her. She knows that I have nothing but good memories, warm wishes and prayers for her. Love is not about getting what you want and not all love stories have a happy ending. Love is about being happy for others and I sincerely pray for her happiness and well being.

Kanti: But what if this happiness comes in the form of another man? Are you not jealous?

Saagar: Absolutely not. I have no right to be jealous or possessive - I have lost that right. If happiness came to her in the form of another man, I'd be genuinely happy for her. Why should she not move on and be happy? I am not a chauvinist.

Kanti: Tell us why you picked Monisha?

Saagar: I don't go for external beauty. For me to have anything with someone, we have to click emotionally. Monisha has a very vibrant yet innocent personality. She is confident yet shy and just so lovable. She gets easily brain washed by people but has a very deep sense of morality that keeps her in check. She says that I am good for her but I think she's been great for me as well.

Kanti: Why was the wedding so secretive? And why are you not sharing it with your Trollywood fans?

Saagar: Due to the spontaneous nature of the wedding, we did not make any big announcements. I proposed to Monisha about a week before our wedding date - August 30. But we did have a pretty big wedding, considering the circumstances. All our near and dear ones were either in attendance or had a chance to meet with us in person. Several members of our extended family back home are very conservative and would be uncomfortable with gay marriage. While our family completely disagrees with their conservative views, we respect their feelings. Out of consideration for them, it was decided that photography would not be permitted by guests. We did have a professional photographer shoot pictures for our personal records that we would like to keep strictly personal.

Kanti: Are you aware that someone managed to take a few pictures of your wedding with their camera phone and can easily make it public?

Saagar: Your producer did inform me that one of our guests managed to take a couple of pictures with their phone and is trying to sell it to Gayfare. This is in complete violation of our right of privacy. I understand that the freedom of press applies to Gayfare. But I want that person to know that if those pictures are published, we will pursue all legal options to bring him or her to justice. Believe me, they will be paying more in court and other legal fees than they can ever hope to make through the press.

Kanti: Contrary to your shy image, you were arguably the biggest playboy of Trollywood, having romanced several leading ladies. Please set the record straight regarding your brief fling with Malati Chopra?

Saagar: There's no record to begin with. We met as friends and I expressed a desire to take it to the next level but she politely declined due to conflict of interest. I respect her loyalty and strong character and we are still cordial to one another. I even invited her to my wedding but I understand that she was unable to make it. I disagree that I am a playboy – that title should be reserved for Niraj. I waited almost 2 years as a single man before approaching Malati or Monisha. I am fiercely loyal and a one-woman man. I don't believe in playing with people's feelings because what goes around always comes around.

Kanti: Tell us about your favorite Trollywood film?

Saagar: Even though I was made to look like a paralyzed old man, I loved KANK the most. There was an incredible amount of honesty in that film and I think each character fitted into their roles perfectly. I think in real life my character is very similar to that of Shahrukh Khan in this film. I am a very low-key happy go lucky person who is not terribly ambitious or needy.


Kanti: Tell us about your religious beliefs. We have not heard about it.

Saagar: My religion is very sacred and it is the one aspect of my life that I choose to keep private or else I would be enforcing my beliefs on others. All I can say is that I have equal respect for all – no matter what religion they follow in their private lives.


Kanti: What made you convert from 99% straight to 99% gay?

Saagar: I can't believe you're asking me such private questions! (laughs) But seriously, the entire straight/gay thing is over-rated. For me it was more important to find the right "person," rather than the right "man" or "woman." If that doesn't make any sense to you then you're clearly not bisexual! (laughs)

Kanti:
Tell me a bit about your family?

Saagar: Family is the most important thing in my life. Being an older brother, I am very protective about my family. I can tell you that the easiest way to annoy me is to try to harm my family in any way. My protective nature will not allow me to let anyone try to harm my family or their reputation. There was a time in the past when my parents were going through a difficult time and since then I have always treated Rajiv more like my son than brother. I feel guilty if I am unable to fulfill his desires. Yet, being an older brother it is also my responsibility to lead Rajiv and Malini in the right direction. I am blessed to have a brother and sister in-law who are incredibly kind and respectful towards me and my parents. Due to their conservative values, my parents obviously did not start off on the right foot with Malini. But over time she has won their hearts and completely amazed us with her love and unwavering loyalty towards our family. Today I can say that while we were lucky to be born into the Malhotra family, Malini has truly earned the Malhotra name. My parents love and affection for Malini is completely unbelievable and it goes back to what I was saying about gay/straight thing being over-rated. At the end of the day we all love and respect good "people."

Kanti: Isn't your separate post-marriage living arrangement going to divide the family?

Saagar: Not at all. In fact our family is finally coming together! My parents are in the process of immigrating to Canada and they will be living with Rajiv and Malini at our home in West Vancouver. Monisha and I will need to stay a bit longer in the States while I complete my obligation to my company. But I've taken a transfer to the San Francisco Bay area so that we will be very close to Monisha's and my family in the west coast. In about a year, our entire family will finally come together under the same roof in Vancouver and I couldn't be happier.

Kanti: I have to say that this has been a very honest yet interesting interview and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. For the record, you're not as boring as you might think. Now I'd like some words of wisdom for your fans and well wishers?

Saagar: To everyone that I've been fortunate enough to know - in person or otherwise. I'd like to wish each one of you a world of happiness. Try to stay away from negativity and focus on the positive. You are capable of so much but you'll never realize this unless you focus on the positive. Live each day as though it is your last. And don't forget to smile - not just at at others but yourself as well. Take care everyone!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Saagar for your honesty.
You are exactly how I thought you would be ;-)Congratulations on your wedding and My best wishes!!